A little about me

Wednesday 13 November 2013

Norway NTNU to France UBP

I have arrived! Charles de Gaulle airport Paris Sunday 31st August, as far I'm concerned there are so many things to look forward too compared to my three weeks living and learning in Norway. 1) Starting lectures in dance anthropology, finally! 2) My own room 3) Affordable living.
But maybe I spoke to soon.
I've searched high and low; I've used my best French language to ask for and be directed to anything but ANYTHING that does not contain lactose. I am exasperated from the search. So in order for my day to be productive and progressive I need at least breakfast, lunch and dinner. I cannot eat out! I tried a chicken burger from Mcdonalds and it ended painfully. I am a present day Cinderella bound by the necessity of sustenance, I can go out after breakfast but must be back by lunch, or after lunch but must be back by dinner. Everything but EVERYTHING seems to be tainted avec buerre, láit o fromage (with butter, milk or cheese).
But food aside the city that I now reside in is lovely, known for its support of Jazz music and musician's and the home of Michellen, Clermont Ferrand. Good news too! On my travels I have discovered a little home away from home, somewhere to purchase plantain, yam and extortionately priced aloe vera juice. The weather is good to compared to Norway which means multiple weekly visits to the local park 'Le Coque Jardin'.

They say size doesn't matter and I strongly disagree! The rooms at my student housing are way too small! It feels like sleeping, standing, reading basically doing everyone in a cabin. I mean even the bathroom, fridge (mini) and desk fits into that space. Now I am petite but even I get feel claustrophobic at times, is this even legal?!
We're kind of left to our own devices for the first two weeks in France, our only engagement is an intensive French language course and other than that life is about settling into Clermont Ferrand. We need to purchase, borrow or find all kitchenware and room furnishings, it's a lot. Where to go? How to ask? What to buy? The things I would do for a £1 store about now....
On a €500 financial contribution PCM and £233.50 of that going on housing plus the €240 deposit that I forgot about I can see this getting ugly.
A pot, a set of cutlery, a plate, a bowl, a cup, food shopping... MONEY DONE!
Calling home has been greatly reduced, with technology at my finger tips I never anticipated not having wifi. Yes you've guessed it my accommodation requires an ethernet cable to access the internet. I feel like I've been transported back in time! Take me back to Norway 'Roof over you head' where my bed was 1 of 14 in the same room, where my designated shower was in the basement but where I could speak with my family everyday if I wanted to. Now I must use the wifi at my local coffee shop at €2 per cup, which closes at 8pm.... Such is life.

My French is coming on slowly even though my pet peeve is evident.
Je suis Anglais.
But I'm not English I'm British!

No comments:

Post a Comment